Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Food Wars: Pizza Mart Is Better Than Jumbo Slice



Most of the time, I write about the Entertainment Industry from far away. This time, I had the pleasure of experiencing a side of it right in Washington D.C.

There is a show on The Travel Channel called Food Wars. The show is about how there are many cities in the United States with two competing restaurants which make the same item. The purpose of the show is to have a blind taste test to determine which restaurant makes the item better. The results of the show are still only the opinions of a few selected food testers, so the losing restaurant will not be viewed by all customers as inferior to the winning restaurant.

After an episode ends is actually when the fun actually begins. If audience members are near the city of the competition, they can play Food Wars themselves. That is what I decided to do in the case of Pizza Mart vs. Jumbo Slice.

In Washington D.C., two brothers own competing restaurants known for their large slices of pizza. The first brother owned Pizza Mart and began making large slices of pizza. He decided to open a second location called Jumbo Slice and have his brother take over Pizza Mart. The second brother, now in charge of Pizza Mart, decided to change the recipe to make the slices of pizza taste different. So the competition on Food Wars was between the original flavor pizza at Jumbo Slice and the new flavor pizza at Pizza Mart. On the show, Pizza Mart won the competition.

As I have been dieting since April, I decided that I must lose 50 pounds before I get to reward myself by going to both restaurants. On Saturday, July 3rd, I had lost 50 pounds and was ready to try both slices of pizza. I thought that I would prefer the pizza at Jumbo Slice because I tend to prefer more simple recipes over complex ones. I first went to Jumbo Slice so I can see what the original pizza tastes like. I enjoyed it very much. I had no negative comments about the pizza as I ate it. It was a very good slice of pizza.

I walked down the block to Pizza Mart, which is only a few minutes away. I ordered a large slice of pepperoni pizza (the same topping I had on the Jumbo Slice pizza). Within a few bites I realized that Pizza Mart had a better slice of pizza. What stood out to me was the sauce, which tasted like it had a higher quality flavor than the sauce in the pizza at Jumbo Slice. This was not a close competition. Comparing the sauce would be like comparing a steak at a typical bar to what you would find at Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse or Morton’s. I could tell that the sauce at Pizza Mart was a true improvement on the sauce used at Jumbo Slice.

I decided to tell the people working at Pizza Mart that I have just had the pizza at both locations and that I prefer the pizza at Pizza Mart. I spoke with the owner, Mike Chisti, and explained that I am writing an article about both locations and that I have chosen Pizza Mart as the winner.

Here is the best part. Mike Chisti gave me an explanation as to what he does to make the pizza at Pizza Mart better than his brother’s restaurant. He said that he uses a blend of three kinds of cheese, which are cheddar, mozzarella, and provolone. He also adds a secret blend of spices which makes the pizza a little spicier than the pizza at Jumbo Slice. The pizza at Pizza Mart is not spicy, but the additional spice adds richness to the flavor of the pizza at Pizza Mart. The final reason why the pizza is better at Pizza Mart is because instead of the New Jersey Tomatoes which are used at Jumbo Slice, they use California tomatoes at Pizza Mart, which Mike Chisti said are more flavorful.

So why am I writing about food when this is an Entertainment Industry blog? The reason is because the show Food Wars is part of the Entertainment Industry and has provided an outlet for viewers to learn about different restaurants and judge the food independently. To me, it did not matter that the show determined Pizza Mart to be the winner. I wanted to judge both places for myself. My conclusion was that Pizza Mart does indeed make a better slice of pizza, but it was fun to have the opportunity to compare the restaurants. The true winner when it comes to Food Wars is both locations in any episode because the show will actually drive customers to try each competing restaurant. New customers will seek both restaurants out, regardless of which one was declared to be the winner. While I was in Pizza Mart, I heard another customer say that he is there because he heard about Pizza Mart from watching Food Wars. Had I never seen the show, I would not have known that there are places in Washington D.C. where I can get a huge slice of pizza. I am glad that I learned about these restaurants and I had fun evaluating the pizza at each of them.

I am not a food critic. My preference for the pizza at Pizza Mart is just my opinion, and there will be people who will disagree with my choice. If you want to play Food Wars and try both restaurants, then I think that you will enjoy two great slices of pizza. If you do not feel that you can eat more than one slice, then I highly recommend Pizza Mart. Mike Chisti took the pizza from Jumbo Slice and improved it at Pizza Mart with great cheese, excellent spices, and California tomatoes. In the business world, if you want to compete with an excellent product, it is important to make your product better than the original one. Mike Chisti knows this concept, and the pizza at Pizza Mart is excellent.

Here are the addresses of the restaurants:

Pizza Mart
2445 18th St NW
Washington, DC 20009
(202) 234-9700

Jumbo Slice
2341 18th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009

17 Comments:

Blogger Pro-Portional said...

Where to begin?

Thank you for pointing me towards this article and your blog. I'm not sure if you knew it before Tweeting me but I actually spent a lot of my childhood in DC. Not only was the article a delight to read but it really reminded me of home, even going so far as to make me a bit homesick.

Congratulations on losing 50 pounds! How on earth did you do it?

11:35 AM  
Blogger to陳mmyc又harlene延 said...

Quietude is the crown of life.............................................................

7:00 PM  
Blogger Michael Rubin said...

Hi Pro-Portional. I did it using Dr. Siegal's Cookie Diet, which has been the easiest diet that I have ever been on.

Thank you for the wonderful comments about my article. Feel free to write to me at michael@michaelrubin.com anytime if you have any additional questions about the article or about Dr. Siegal's Cookie Diet.

9:45 PM  
Blogger 吳婷婷 said...

Some people cannot see the wood for the trees.............................................................

4:47 PM  
Blogger 珮瑜 said...

幸福沒有鑰匙,只有梯子。.................................................................

1:35 AM  
Blogger 莊雅和莊雅和莊雅和 said...

No one knows the weight of anothers burden. ............................................................

12:02 AM  
Blogger WillianT_Smotherman0恆迪 said...

愛情不是慈善事業,不能隨便施捨。.................................................................

9:04 PM  
Blogger 淑吳玲 said...

分享是件快樂的事!!感謝您用心的文章!! ............................................................

10:29 PM  
Blogger 文旺江汝 said...

Poverty is stranger to industry.........................................

12:47 AM  
Blogger 淑倫惟芳 said...

文章不求沽名釣譽,率性就是真的..................................................................

10:19 PM  
Blogger 韋陳富 said...

這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊!......................................................................

5:23 PM  
Blogger 468ds said...

我愛那些使自己的德行成為自己的目標或命定的人................................................

12:57 AM  
Blogger 冠陳儒 said...

上班好累哦,看看部落格轉換心情~~~先謝謝啦!!............................................................

12:26 PM  
Blogger 孫邦柔 said...

你怎麼能經過一片海,而忘記它的藍?......................................................................

1:53 PM  
Blogger 佳張張張張燕張張張張張 said...

這不過是滑一跤,並不是死掉而爬不起來了。..................................................

8:25 PM  
Blogger 瑰潼 said...

臨淵羨魚,不如退而結網。.. ... ............................................................

1:05 AM  
Blogger 姚义丰 said...

傻氣的人喜歡給心 雖然每次都被笑了卻得到了別人的心................. ................................................

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

magic store
Free Hit Countersstats
magic store