Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Phil Collins Can No Longer Play The Drums



Some people reading this may be younger and not care about Phil Collins, but I want you to know what he means to me.

When I was young, I practically hated music because the only music I would hear would be on the radio when my mom was driving the car. I mainly remember hating The Four Seasons and the high voice of Frankie Valle. Yes I hate Frankie Valle’s voice and hearing the Four Seasons was torture to me. The only music I liked was the songs of Michael Jackson, but the Thriller album was a few years old.

Then one day in the car I heard the song “Invisible Touch” by Genesis. I instantly loved the song. My parents could tell that I was becoming a fan of the group. One morning, they gave me my first cassette, the album “Invisible Touch” by Genesis. This was in 1986.

Phil Collins was the lead singer of Genesis at the time. I loved his voice. I wanted to know how I could try to sing like him. I thought that his voice was beautiful. But I could not sing.

To me, Phil Collins and Genesis are my introduction to music. I started to watch MTV and then was introduced to other groups that I began to enjoy. I loved getting new cassettes of different music groups. One of my next albums was “Slippery When Wet” by Bon Jovi. In 1987, I became a big fan of “The Final Countdown” by Europe and “Crazy Train” by Ozzy Osbourne. Being introduced to these groups and these songs was like a child being introduced to candy for the first time. The period of time from 1986-1987 had so many songs that still have the same effect on me today.

I cannot name the first film that I ever saw, but the song “Invisible Touch” was the clear start of my appreciation of music.

Today I found out that Phil Collins can no longer play the drums or the piano. This greatly saddens me. He not only had a success with Genesis, but was a very successful solo artist, winning the Grammy for Album of the Year (1985) for “No Jacket Required.” Phil Collins has lost feeling in his hands.

It saddens me when a musician is very gifted, but a disability comes in the way of him or her making music. Beethoven is the classic example, being a composer who was deaf. Stevie Wonder has been blind since birth, but still able to write beautiful music. While Stevie Wonder can compose music, without sight, he cannot just write down the music on paper as it comes to his mind. He has had to work with others to write down the music that he composes.

I fear that Phil Collins’ days of composing may be over. It must be hard to have a fully functioning mind and not have the hands to work on a piano to discover new music.

The story is not completely sad. Phil Collins is working on a CD of him singing 30 Motown songs. He still has his beautiful voice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

magic store
Free Hit Countersstats
magic store