Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Life of Michael Jackson

This article is dedicated to Imran, the biggest Michael Jackson fan I have ever met.

“We are out of our joy and he is out of his pain.” – Jesse Jackson

When I heard that comment by Jesse Jackson while watching Larry King, I knew that I had to write it down. I think that is the best way I would describe losing Michael Jackson.

I am writing two articles. The first one is dealing with the life of Michael Jackson. I am going to wait until we have more information on the cause of Michael Jackson’s death to discuss that issue. I want to wait for the final results to be in on the cause of his death and how his doctor may have been involved in the treatment of Michael Jackson before I point fingers.

A few years ago, I said that had Michael Jackson died in 1985, he would be bigger than Elvis. Since Elvis had died before I was born, I do not have the same understanding of where his career was and where it it was going.

Let me begin with a shocking comment. I believe that the worst thing that ever happened to Michael Jackson was making the Thriller album. Had he had okay albums after Off The Wall, he would have been remembered as a former child star for his work with the Jackson 5. There will be people who will argue that Thriller was not their favorite album personally, but I have to say that it is the most important album of the last three decades. I believe that if I had to compare Thriller to other albums, then it was more important than any album from the year 1970 to today. I believe that you would have to look at the work of the Beatles in the 1960s to find something that can compete with Thriller’s importance in the music world.

Thriller was an album that could never be topped by Michael Jackson. His album Bad was great, but did not have the same impact. Bad was nominated for the Grammy for Album of the Year, but lost to U2’s album The Joshua Tree. I would have to say that The Joshua Tree was U2’s best album of all time and better than Bad. Michael Jackson’s masterpiece could never be topped if he had lived to be 100 years-old.

In the 1980s, even Ronald Reagan in his 70s was a fan of Michael Jackson. Thriller make Michael Jackson the most famous celebrity in the world. When the sky is the limit, and you reach the sky, you can only go down.

The last two decades were sad for Michael Jackson. Two accusations of molestation changed how people viewed him and his obsession with children. Michael Jackson loved children and the accusations made people question the nature of his relationship with them.

The million dollar question is this… Was Michael Jackson asexual, straight, gay, or a pedophile?

I am going to give my guess and my reasons for this guess, with full knowledge that I could be wrong. I believe that he was asexual and that he wanted to be a child himself. None of his child celebrity friends had ever accused him of trying to touch them inappropriately. He never took advantage of Macaulay Culkin, Corey Feldman, or Emmanuel Lewis. If Michael Jackson was gay and let’s say he was interested in boys who looked young, then I think he would have had a relationship with a very attractive 18-year-old homosexual guy who looked young. As a famous celebrity, he could have had all of the opportunities to be with men or women had he chosen to do so. The fact that he spent all of those years without a female or male lover makes me think that he really had no interest in sex.

I truly believe that Michael Jackson was innocent of the accusations and that he could never hurt a child.

That being said, the accusations haunted him because it removed the trust of the public. The one issue that I really had difficulty figuring out was the fact that he continued to spend time with children after the first accusation. For Michael Jackson to continue to spend so much time around children after the accusation gave the impression that his interest in children was something he could not do without.

I believe that Michael Jackson missed his childhood and felt that he was robbed of it. Therefore, he wanted to permanently be a child himself and have child friends.

Since Michael Jackson released Bad in 1987, he released three more albums. I liked Dangerous and History, but they were not outstanding. His album Invincible was critically panned, and his accusation that Sony did not promote it well because the head of Sony was racist was a horribly false accusation. The man in question, Tommy Mottola, had married Mariah Carey, who is half-black.

In my opinion, Michael Jackson did not want a busy career. I have doubts that he was ever going to release a new album again. I could be wrong, but we will never know for sure.

I have a feeling in my heart that an artist cannot be truly great unless there is something unusual about that artist. I think that some are good and have normal lives, but the best have to have something unusual about them to truly reach greatness. I look at Michael Jackson’s weirdness with acceptance as part of the package. I do not think that the man who made Thriller and moonwalked could have been that good unless there was some madness behind the greatness.

Even if his career was virtually over. Even if he would never make another album and the London tour the next month would truly be his last tour. Even if the days of him making art were gone, Michael Jackson became the single greatest musical artist of this century. He will be studied and written about not only for decades, but centuries to come.

While I am grateful to have had the opportunity to listen to his music and the music of the Beatles, I hope that an artist will come out who will top them. I hope that we have not seen the best that will ever come. I hope that there will be another album that will take over the world in the way that Thriller did. For Michael Jackson, Thriller was the best that was to come and he could never top it. I hope that is not the case for the future of music. I would rather know that Thriller could not be topped by Michael Jackson than to think that Thriller could never be topped by another human being. Sadly, I do not think that there will ever be an achievement greater in music yet to come.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bernadette said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Bernadette said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

magic store
Free Hit Countersstats
magic store