Saturday, August 16, 2008

Shame on Pau Gasol!


I’m not just ashamed of him, but of his team.

Pau Gasol, the center on the Los Angeles Lakers, is playing for the Spanish men’s basketball team in the Olympics.

Normally I don’t write about sports, but this story is important.

The Spanish team posed for a photo in which each of them put their fingers on the sides of their heads and pushing the skin back to make it look like they had slant eyes.

They were going to the Olympics in Spain.

This was actually for an advertisement in Spain.

I’m not Asian and I don’t have any Asian members of my family or extended family. This is not personal. But this is racist.

They thought that this would be funny, not racist. I would have one question for Pau Gasol. Would you actually do this in front of one Asian person?

Sometimes people may feel that they can say something or do something in front of one person that they would not do in front of anyone. But the problem with this is that it’s an advertisement that can be seen by anyone. This was not even a photo at a private party that got out. This was a photo that was meant to be public.

I think that Pau Gasol was definitely insensitive, if not an actual racist. He plays for one of the most popular teams in the NBA. He probably has millions of fans. I think that it is safe to say that some of them were probably Asian too. It must be hard for Asian fans of Pau Gasol to see that photo of him making fun of their race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

magic store
Free Hit Countersstats
magic store