Tuesday, June 24, 2008

George Carlin

Why is offensive comedy so much better than normal, clean comedy? In my opinion, because offensive comedy can point out the things that clean comedy cannot. In a way, offensive comedy has few limitations. I am saying few limitations because some comedians have actually ruined their careers saying things that actually turn society against them.

George Carlin was an offensive comedian. He wasn’t trying to be offensive for the sake of offensive material, though. Instead, he looked for material that would make people laugh. Laughter is the key.

I used to watch Full House as a child, until I realized that it wasn’t funny. I started to realize that I was just following the story, and wasn’t actually laughing at the jokes. The problem is that while it portrayed a wholesome family, the jokes were so tame that making people laugh was secondary to not offending anyone.

I want to admit that I like clean comedy too, if jokes can be both clean and funny. The problem is that those jokes are usually limited in scope. Want to hear a joke about Paris Hilton being a slut? I can’t say it, because it’s not clean.

George Carlin was not an older comedian who stopped being noticed in society. There are so many entertainers who have not performed in years. They are known for their past. George Carlin continued to make comedy specials and had he not passed away, I’m sure he would have continued. He was not an aging performer who just gets audiences based on past glory. Instead, he kept audiences laughing with new material.

There is so much that I could say to praise him. I think that I will just end with the fact that he is one of the greatest comedians of all time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

magic store
Free Hit Countersstats
magic store